Sunday, June 26, 2011

Email #3

Hey all, I've been a little busy. I got this email from Sister Barnum on June 21st.
I am slow getting it on, but I'm sure you'll all enjoy it anyhow!!!!



June 21, 2011


Hello Family and Friends,

Well this week has been the most changing week i have had since being at the MTC, i couldn't have predicted the stuff to happen that did!! I honestly still cant believe it. I was going to try and type and the details, but that stupid red countdown is making me keep it short and sweet.

Last Tuesday my companion Sister Beutler got sick. She has extreme fears of getting sick. This led to her being really anxious and uptight (understandably) about it. I had some of our elders give her a blessing. Which was AMAZING. But the next day things were not getting better. So we went to the health clinic, which sent us to Urgent Care, which sent us back to the Doctors on campus. This all happened Wednesday. Thursday Sister Beutler had several appointments, she was gone most of the day and i was without a companion which was even more weird. By the end of Thursday both me and here were sitting in the District Presidents Secretary office crying, as the conclusion had been decided that she needed to go home on medical release. I was sooo heart broken, HEART BROKEN. But i know that Sister Beutler needed to go home to take care of her health and get on track, hopefully she can return to the mission field in a couple months. But we'll see!!

So needless to say that was an EMOTIONAL 3-4 days. I could not believe what was happening. And all the sudden I'm in a trio, with 3 of us as companions WHICH I HATE!! LOVE THE SISTERS, BUT HATE THE TRIO!!! So that has been quite the adjustment. The weekend went on. On Friday the day sister Beutler left i was struggling deeply with some emotions going on. I knew HF was teaching me some serious lesson, i just didn't know what to do with it. I wasn't even struggling with sister Beutler being gone, as much as i was struggling with myself and accepting what HF was telling me. Through the spirit's guidance i talked to our amazing teacher. Brother Kearns. I knew his words were guided by our HF, he said exactly what i needed to hear and i felt an instant peace. I knew it was going to be okay. The weekend went good. We had our last 2....3 HOUR classes on Saturday. I love our teachers so it was great. Our last class sat night was THE MOST SPIRITUAL THING EVER!!! ohhh the spirit was BOOMING out of that room and i LOVED IT!!!

Sunday was great, i had my last interview with President Seamons our Branch President, he expressed his confidence in me and i felt great. i also knew his words were guided by HF. I LOVE THE PRIESTHOOD!!!! Yesterday MONDAY was our In field training day. It was a overwhelming day, we were all going through all sorts of emotions, anxiety, fear, faith, crying, laughing, anxiety, laughing, crying, nauseous. It was great. lol. But the best part was Monday morning. We had our elders give us blessings before we all left. Elder Watson (my eternal BFF) gave me mine. Again I LOVE THE PRIESTHOOD. I felt his words so strong, and i know he is a great priesthood holding and going to be an AMAZING MISSIONARY!! The blessings really helped us all as sisters feel better, and feel that lift before we leave. Monday night at the end of our In Field training our Elder Stevens wasn't' there. I asked the elders where he was and they informed us that he was at the room packing, he was going home. I felt like i got HIT by a BUS!!! I struggled to believe that our district, the district everyone was like wow look at you, had 2 people go home. What an amazing change.

As sisters we all felt extremely overwhelmed, and emotional. Our great elders walked us to our room(building) last night to say goodbye. As the 2 elders i was closest with Elder Edmunds and Watson left way early this morning. Its so weird to say goodbye to them. And i cant wait for in 2 years to get those hugs we all wanted to give!!!

I've felt changes happen this last week that i never saw coming. I've felt myself HAVE to rely on my HF in ways i never thought. I thought i was relying on him enough, but he taught me quick that it wasn't enough. I pray every day and remind myself that HE is my strength, and HE is the one that is going to carry me through this 18 months. I thought i wouldn't change on my mission, I'd come out and I'd work and I'd go home. But something happens. The spirit makes you be a better person, and you never want to loose that. EVER! I cant imagine what changes i have yet to make, but i just know its going to keep happening. During my blessing Elder Watson reminded me to keep that relationship with my heavenly father, that he is my strength, and i KNOW THAT. I know he is going to carry me. And it is my goal that i never lose that. I want to always be humble enough to know that HE is my strength, i am NOTHING without it. What an amazing feeling i tell you. I know that as i live to his words, i follow his spirit and i let myself be HIS mouth piece that i CAN bring miracles to happen in lives of others. I KNOW that i can change lives, because i am HIM! I feel so many emotions towards leaving tomorrow, but i know that if i let myself be him, that i will be fine! I feel the spirit so strong and i don't ever want to let my heavenly father down, i want to hit Missouri running, i want to show people the gospel and i want to find those, that our heavenly father has prepared!! I love this gospel so much and I'm so thankful for this opportunity!!

Now that I'm done crying it all out. A few things.....
Do not write me on dear elder anymore, including today, because it usually doesn't print until the next day, and i wont be here tomorrow, i leave at 6 in the morning.
another thing, please write letters, i only have a half hour on email, and i don't want to be stuck reading emails and not be able to email. So if at all possible write more letters rather than email.
Send me mail, i have a feeling that once i get out of Utah the missing my family might hit a little harder! So i need to hear from you. I love that support and i need it. Plus it feels like Christmas every day i get a letter.
I want to thank everyone for their support through dear elder while I've been here. Its makes my day.

I am going to be sending my memory card home soon. So hopefully you can put up some pictures of me and my eternal BFF and the rest of the district of course. Oh and the one of me and Sister Snodgress, and Elder Anderson.

I cant believe i am leaving tomorrow. I haven't started packing and my time is almost up. So off i run.

I love and miss you all so much!!!!!!

Sister Brookie Barnum


End of the email joke.

In our VERY FIRST lesson we were teaching our teacher who was playing an investigator. Well, it was our first time teaching we are talking about Joseph Smith and when he read if any of you lack wisdom let him ask of god, and WE COULDN'T REMEMBER WHERE THE SCRIPTURE WAS!!! it was SOOO EMBARRASSING!!! the rest of my life i will KNOW that scripture!! HAHAHA. Oh that day Sister Beutler and i laughed at ourselves so hard. I guess that's what the MTC is for. :)

Sorry if that didn't make sense. and sorry i never spell check. I run out of time and don't care about spelling.

LOVE EVERYONE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment